So, here it is, 2 in the afternoon, both girls should be sleeping and instead we are all watching the Nate Berkus show (which I am very surprised Avery is really enjoying). Why are my children no longer sleeping during the day? Paige is only 14 months for goodness sakes!
Ok, so first the story with Avery- I think she is reaching the point where she needs a nap every few days. It really stinks particularly since she's not quite there yet and therefore is very cranky in the afternoons and evenings. Which of course means bad behavior. And since I don't get a break, my temper is short too. But we'll make it through....
Now for Paigey. What the heck?!! She seems to be in need of a morning nap, so she sleeps for 15-20 min on the go and then I can only get her to sleep for 20-40 min in the afternoon. It's like the morning nap is ruining the afternoon one. Avery transitioned to one nap around this age, but frankly, Paige seems like she needs the morning nap more than Avery did. I guess I need to suck it up and try to make the transition. It's just harder the second time around since we have to adhere to Avery's school schedule. And I don't pick her up until 12 or 12:45 depending on the day. What to do?
On a completely different topic, we had our second parenting class last night and it was frankly, a little chaotic. We moved to a different (closer) location so it was a whole different group of people- and to be honest, some of them need some serious help from what they had to say. And they had A LOT to say. About 3 of the 15 or so couples monopolized the discussion and questions. It frustrated me that the teacher allowed this to occur. I realize that a lot of us are having similar issues and so it helps to hear other people's stories but one couple in particular seem to think this whole class was about them. They even had Nanny 911 come to their house to see if they should be on the show. And I think the woman who was sitting next to me was drunk- she clearly had been in this class last week and knew that alcohol was needed to get through Nanny 911 couples questions. Next week I will make sure to have an adult beverage before I go to class.
One of the big themes Susie Walton (the instructor of the class) touches on is that as parents we need to address our needs first. I wholeheartedly agree, but find myself wondering how in the world I am going to do that. Particularly with no one napping. There is NO "me" time. At all. I don't get to shower or use the bathroom by myself. I do go to the gym at least 3 times a week while Avery is in school and Paige goes into the daycare but to be honest, it's just not enough. I know I would be a better mother if I got to relax more often but how's that gonna work? How do other people manage to get time to themselves? Babysitters would get expensive. I guess we'll figure something out.
The girls and I went shopping with my brother Teddy today- we owed him a birthday gift and he needed some new clothes. Before lunch we went into Baby Gap and Avery sat down in the chairs they have there so the kids can watch a movie while their parents shop. Teddy and I watched while she watched another little girl about her age cross her legs. Avery kept looking at her and trying to mimic the little girls legs. It was adorable!! She looked like such a little lady. Meanwhile, Paige is becoming a feisty little thing. Perhaps a result of no nap?! We have her music class tomorrow and I will place bets that she will sit on Lauren's lap while Adelle crawls (or maybe walks with all attempts lately) around the room. What a little lover she is! I can't wait to see what talking brings....
would you consider using a daycare a day a week. i know some people who do it for me time. give you some time to do things you need to do without all the little interruptions.
ReplyDeleteHey Meg! I love that you have a blog - I can't wait to read your other entries.
ReplyDeleteI would definitely suggest that you hire a babysitter once in a while during the day so that you get a little break and some "me" time in.
It definitely sounds like Paige is transitioning down to one nap. Zoe has been at one nap for quite a while..but the transition is tough. I think you'll find (as you probably know with Avery) that if you can get her to take that one nap and do it a little later, that you'll get a longer nap. Good luck!!
R
Hey ladies, thanks for the suggestions. Shockingly, yesterday and today they both took super long naps. So we shall see. As soon as you figure it out they change it up!
ReplyDelete